Monday, January 18, 2010

Random Thoughts

I am very used to the idea of a one or two week trip.  Even when I was in Seattle for most of 2009 it was more like a series of one week trips as opposed to a 10 month trip.  Every Friday I would check out of the hotel and head to either Ken and Jamie's or San Francisco.  As a result of that my mind keeps telling me that it is time to check out of the hotel over here and head home.  I'm curious to see how long this lasts.  I can't imagine it will go on for the next 10 weeks, but I suppose I can't be certain.

The hotel I'm staying at is apparently one of the two or three best places to stay in Kolkata.  I only know this because my traveling companion is constantly pointing out celebrities.  We've already seen a couple of members of parliament, the most famous actor in India and Kolkata's entire cricket team.  For perspective that would be like checking into a hotel in Seattle and seeing Patty Murry, Brad Pitt and the entire Seattle Seahawk's roster.  I've been less than enthused by this as I have no idea who these people are, but my colleague has been thrilled.  I'm trying to convince him to get one of those autograph books from Disneyland that you use to get all of the characters signatures shipped over here so he can get autographs from everybody in it.  He doesn't seem thrilled with this plan, but I'm going to keep trying.

One of the most famous politicians in the history of Kolkata passed away yesterday.  He was 95 or 96 years old and served as the Chief Minister of West Bengal (the state containing the city of Kolkata) for over 30 years.  The entire city is shut down today as a result.  Then entire city that is other than our office.  We still managed to fill up most of the building.

Yesterday (Sunday) we visited a Catholic church.  It looked pretty much like a Catholic church in the states.

My stomach spent the second half of last week informing me in no uncertain terms that it had had its fill of intensely flavorful spicy foods.  I ended up not eating a whole lot for a couple of days.  If was an odd sensation.  The closest approximation I can come to for it is when I've had too much to drink and the thought of another beer (or bourbon) makes me flat out nauseous.  It was like that except for with Indian food.  I'm doing better now.  Last night we had a Bengali dinner and for lunch today we had Indian.  In both cases I was able to eat the food with only a mild fight from my stomach.  I figure by later this week my stomach will have given up completely and I'll be eating whole peppers by the handful. 

Bengali food was a lot like Indian, but with more mustard.  We had an appetizer of cauliflower cutlets with mustard sauce that was awesome.

I haven't been in any more traffic accidents, although we did pass another one this morning.  A motorcycle was hit by a car, but at very low speed.  The driver of the motorcycle was standing in the middle of the street screaming at the driver of the car.  I can't imagine driving a motorcycle on the streets here, although tons of people do.  I guess everything moves so slow due to congestion that most accidents involving motorcycles end up like the one we passed rather than like one on I-5 or the 101.

Everybody in the office here is shocked that I'm not eating meat.  I've gotten more of a reaction to that than to anything else in my time here.  I think they are secretly expecting to walk in on me in my office scarfing down a great big steak.

I know I owe a bunch of people phone calls and emails.  I will do my best to catch up this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment