Sunday, January 10, 2010

First Weekend

My first weekend was interesting.  I woke up on Friday with a cold.  I went into the office, but by the time I got back to the hotel that evening I was feeling pretty miserable.  I tried sleeping, but my body was still working on Pacific time so I woke up feeling wide awake (yet miserable) at 2 am on Saturday.  Starting from there and going for the next 24 or so hours I was in bed sleeping occasionally and spending the rest of the time catching up on my Indian television.  Turns out I am way behind on my Indian shows.  Guess I'll have to update my TiVo when I get home.

I woke up on Sunday morning for the last time at about 3:30 am.  Obviously miserably early, but I felt pretty good.  I watched a few more hours of TV and then went down for breakfast.  The hotel I'm staying at has a breakfast buffet that is included in the package my company put together.  There is a wide variety of Indian food as well as quite a few American dishes to choose from.  Based on the fact that I was still recovering from the cold I decided to avoid the more interesting options available and stick with fruit and cereal.

The other person from the San Francisco office that is traveling with me arrived in Kolkata late on Saturday night.  He is from India and speaks Hindi so he is doing a lot of speaking for me.  We decided to visit the Victoria Memorial on Sunday afternoon.  I'll post pictures and some more details on that trip later.  Sufficed to say it was an interesting experience.

This morning (Monday) I woke up feeling almost completely healthy.  I also managed to sleep through the night, which was almost a better treat than my cold being gone.  One the way into the office my car was rear ended by a rickshaw.  Nobody was hurt, but there was a good bit of yelling.  I'll post in a bit more detail on the traffic here later.  I want to figure out how to post video before I do so you can get the real experience.

Overall the first weekend was good if for no other reason than I think the jet lag is behind me.  I'll try to get a couple of more posts up here soon with pictures and video soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'll probably take a dramamine before watching any traffic videos that you post.
    Glad you're feeling better Dickie!

    ReplyDelete