Monday, February 1, 2010

Finally

We managed to get 12 holes of golf in on Sunday.  We played at The Tollygunge Club in Sourth Kolkata.  The cost wasn't bad for a private club (~$50 for 18 holes) and it was reasonably well maintained.  As it is the dry season here it the ground was hard as a rock.

We were required to use caddies (my first time ever being caddied for), which was fine as it only cost about $2.50 for the caddy.  I ended up tipping mine 200% as I couldn't help but feel that I owed him more than $5.

The hotel provided us with clubs, tees and balls for free.  The clubs and bag looked like they were purchased about 30 years ago, but they served their purpose. 

As I was teeing off on the 4th hole I noticed my caddy running back down the 3rd fairway.  Even with my fairly limited caddy experience I was fairly confident his job as a caddy was to hang around me rather than to head in the opposite direction at a dead run.  Turns out he looked in the bag as we were leaving the 3rd green and noticed that there was no 6 iron in it.  He came back from his run empty handed and extremely freaked out and asked me if there was a 6 iron in the bag at the start of the round.  I told him I had no idea and that even if there was, which I doubt as I don't think I ever used it, it wouldn't be a big deal at all if it was gone as the clubs were ancient.  Unfortunately my caddy's English was not quite up to the task of understanding my complete lack of concern.  He made my colleague call the hotel from the 4th fairway and confirm that there was never a 6 iron in the bag.  The hotels response was...we have no idea and we don't particularly care if it's there or not.  My colleague relayed this to my caddy in Hindi and while he wasn't thrilled he at least was willing to continue the round.

I ended up playing ok.  I had a sandy birdie on the 10th and hit a couple of huge drives.  My putting was atrocious and I was wishing by the end of the round that my 9 iron, PW and SW were with my 6 iron rather than in my bag.  We had to quit after 12 holes due to it getting dark.

I took the picture below from the 10th fairway right before I knocked my 5 wood pin high from 230 yards.  I think my camera may be good luck.




After the round we stopped by the mall so my colleague could make a purchase.  The photo below was taken from the top floor of the mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment